Touge Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza Motorsport's Touge Community

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

front caster

Go down 
+3
Hybrid Comet
KraZe
bukkaz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bukkaz
Fujiwara
bukkaz

front caster Empty
PostSubject: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 6:11 am

Hey people I just wanted to know what the pro's and con's are of adjusting the caster and what negative caster does and what positive caster does
Back to top Go down
KraZe
King of Eurobeat
KraZe

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 6:31 am

If I'm not mistaken the caster is a way of adjusting the wheelbase of the car. Lowering the degree of caster will slightly shorten the wheelbase giving it more "agile" behavior (quicker turn-in, quicker transitions, tighter turning radius, etc.) but it comes at the expense of less stability, more oversteer, and more "twitch-like" steering. A higher degree of caster creates a longer wheelbase which adds stability and grip at the expense of larger turning angles, more "sluggish" steering and more understeer.

However I'm no expert at tuning (I stick to stock/sport suspensions now) so correct me if I'm wrong. pale

Btw I think this belongs in General Chat.
Back to top Go down
bukkaz
Fujiwara
bukkaz

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 6:37 am

Thanks kraze Smile I lowered the caster lastnight on my 86 and it felt great. It felt like it gripped better too and I can now take certain corners without braking Smile its probably just my driving style that it feels grippy
Back to top Go down
KraZe
King of Eurobeat
KraZe

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 6:42 am

Then maybe I got it backwards lol
Back to top Go down
Hybrid Comet
Touge Veteran
Hybrid Comet

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 8:51 am

Kraze you got it right, excatly Smile
It affects grip too slightly, since it highly modifies camber angles.
Back to top Go down
bukkaz
Fujiwara
bukkaz

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 9:35 am

So lower setting guves you better turn in and stuff at the expence of stability and highter setting gives you better stability at the expence of turn in?
Back to top Go down
KraZe
King of Eurobeat
KraZe

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 9:47 am

^Basically, although it's more like the ability of the car to rotate rather than just the turn-in.
Back to top Go down
bukkaz
Fujiwara
bukkaz

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 10:01 am

I will mess around with it later Smile
Back to top Go down
MiNd
Founder
MiNd

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 10:16 am

My understanding of it is, the more caster, the more responsive your car is in turns.....but.....the more caster, the more unstable your car is.

So my take on it is, as long as you can control the stability, the higher the better
Back to top Go down
Koolaid
Touge Veteran
Koolaid

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 11:54 am

Back to top Go down
Peacock
Kaido Aficionado
Peacock

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:51 pm

Definitely just spent a good half hour watching engineering videos lol. Thanks Koolaid!
Back to top Go down
Edward40Hands
Kaido Aficionado
Edward40Hands

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Kraze you werent far off as far as forza goes...

Bukkaz 2 other things to consider:

1. Changing your caster will change you active camber, you may want to use the telemetry to adjust your camber after making caster changes. Less caster will need more negative camber.

2. More caster will increase what some call "returnability" of the steering wheel, causing the front tires to return to center easier when you "let go of the wheel"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

front caster Empty
PostSubject: Re: front caster   front caster Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

front caster
Page 1 of 1