Forza Motorsport's Touge Community

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
KraZe
King of Eurobeat

PostSubject: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:28 pm

As the title says, if you have any question on whether an Xbox 360 compatible steering wheel is worth buying and which, or what the advantages of having a steering wheel versus a controller are feel free to ask. Also if you yourself own a steering wheel please give some feedback on it or answer any questions that are posted here.

My previous wheel:

Microsoft Wireless MS wheel

Pros: Good force feedback, easy mounting, lightweight, relatively cheap (mine was $80 2 years ago), plastic flappy paddle shifters, easily accessible buttons.

Cons: Doesn't have a stick shift, wear was evident after 1 year, force feedback glitches from time to time, my right-side flappy paddle broke off 6 months ago due to cheap plastic, awkward line of sight (the top of the wheel blocks the middle of the screen so you have to drive like your grandma), production was halted so the only way to buy one is through eBay, ONLY compatible with Xbox 360.

My rating: 8.0/10

Comments: Best wheel for the price

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My current wheel:

Fanatec CSR wheel

Pros: Adjustable force feedback strength, adjustable degrees of rotation (90 - 900), adjustable vibration strength, easy mounting, stainless steel flappy paddle shifters, compatible with PC, PS3 & Xbox 360.

Cons: Expensive ($250 for the wheel alone, I got mine through a special Christmas discount), the pedals and stick shift are sold separately (and those are expensive too), the alcantara grips get dirty if poorly maintained, wheel hub squeaks a little because of the plastic.

My rating: 9.5/10

Comments: The amount of adjustable settings on this wheel is insane! I can change the settings so that it feels like my old wheel or I can make it feel like the steering wheel on my actual car Razz The CSR Elite pedals are superb also (the brakes can be adjusted so that no matter how hard I press them they don't lock when I'm not using ABS) and the clutch can be "kicked" so that shifting is still near instantaneous. The CSR H-pattern shifter is a bit odd because it is VERY stiff and occasionally I shift into the wrong gear because of it, however, when you're not driving seriously (like when you're cruising around in Forza Horizon) it is FUN. Very Happy

_
Miata Gen 2 - 4:31.750 (NDH) || Mazdaspeed RX8 - 4:34.041 (NDH) || Acura NSX '97 - 4:35.869 (NHC)

STREETVERSION | GT: il KraZe li | PSN: StV_KraZe | Fanatec CSR w/ CSR Elite Pedal | K. Huertas

Last edited by KraZe on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 pm; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ryosuke Takahashi
Water Spiller

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Ask a wheel user anything eh?

Why do we give credit to Christopher Columbus for finding America?

_
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Insertgamertag
KraZe
King of Eurobeat

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:41 pm

"In the early modern period, the voyages of Columbus initiated European exploration and colonization of the American continents, and are thus of great significance in world history. Christopher Columbus was a navigator and an admiral for Castile, a country that later founded modern Spain. He made four voyages to the Americas, with his first in 1492, which resulted in what is considered by European Americans as the Discovery of America[1] or Discovery of the Americas.[2]
The discovery of the Americas has variously been attributed to others, depending on context and definition. For example, Asians migrated across the Bering Strait to North America between 12,000 and 42,000 years ago and the Vikings (c. 1000) established a settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland. While Columbus was not the first European to voyage to the New World and did not actually reach the mainland until his third voyage in 1498 (when he reached South America, and the fourth voyage, when he reached Central America), his discoveries led to the major European sea powers sending expeditions to the New World to build trade networks and colonies and to convert the native people to Christianity.
Columbus was given the title “Admiral of the Ocean Sea” in April 1492"

_
Miata Gen 2 - 4:31.750 (NDH) || Mazdaspeed RX8 - 4:34.041 (NDH) || Acura NSX '97 - 4:35.869 (NHC)

STREETVERSION | GT: il KraZe li | PSN: StV_KraZe | Fanatec CSR w/ CSR Elite Pedal | K. Huertas
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ryosuke Takahashi
Water Spiller

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Touche

What would happen if oil ran out? Would we return to the state we were in in the past? If so,
which period would it be like?

_
Back to top Go down
KraZe
King of Eurobeat

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:08 pm

hahaha ok you made me do this lol look at the new title

_

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ryosuke Takahashi
Water Spiller

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Yes.... haha

_
Back to top Go down
MiNd
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:31 pm

We should definitely do some Wheel vs Roller challenges, I know the wheel helps greatly in drifting, but haven't seen it do much help in racing.

Example: Alot of the top drifters I've seen use wheels, where alot of the fastest racers are on the controller.

_

Street Version Member | Touge Union Founder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KraZe
King of Eurobeat

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 pm

^That's very interesting because I've been using a wheel since FM3 and the wheel definitely helped me to learn drifting (On the controller I just sucked lol) but I can't drive fast without the wheel because I never developed skills on the controller.

_

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rotary
Tofu Delivery Driver

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:15 pm

I bought a microsoft wheel, it has no table clamp but it was cheap. I have used it like once, i can't keep myself using it for to long because i just suck on it lol.

_
Garage Kaido | Touge Union

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KraZe
King of Eurobeat

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:28 pm

With no table clamp it's understandable that it won't help you much

_

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KraZe
King of Eurobeat

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:22 am

Info on my new CSR wheel has been updated ^^^ if you want to know more feel free to ask Wink

_

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SaintedPlacebo4
Touge Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:01 am

I want to get the CSR with the shifter and all that, i been saving (not exactly lol) to get one and this has reinforced my decision to get it lol.

_
***If I'm online and not playing Forza, Its not me***
FSCS Multi-Class Endurance Driver
[2-3] B-Class NDH 4:37.911 (Dirty) // 4:39.813 (Clean)
A-Class NUH 4:44.518 (Dirty)
<---- Yes thats really me.

Gamertag: Saintedplacebo4
PSN ID: Raven-Swan
GT6 Room nametag "J. Swan"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://drakeinternationalracing.webs.com/
SaintedPlacebo4
Touge Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 am

I want to get the CSR with the shifter and all that, i been saving (not exactly lol) to get one and this has reinforced my decision to get it lol.

_

Back to top Go down
MiNd
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:55 am

I would like the wheel for drifting, not sure how I would like it for racing.

_

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KraZe
King of Eurobeat

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:11 am

I'll tell you straight out that if you're planning on drifting with the full 900 degree steering it is HARD as f*ck to do I literally failed every drift I attempted when I tried that out Laughing practice makes perfect I guess?

_

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MiNd
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:27 am

KraZe wrote:
I'll tell you straight out that if you're planning on drifting with the full 900 degree steering it is HARD as f*ck to do I literally failed every drift I attempted when I tried that out Laughing practice makes perfect I guess?

Maybe.... But I've had plenty of experience with my 900 Degree DFP Gran Turismo Version Wheel in a few different games and physics engines, such as GT3, GT4, Tokyo Xtreme Racer:Drift 2, and Live For Speed. I don't think it would take me too long Very Happy

_

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KraZe
King of Eurobeat

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:32 am

After using the wheel today for a good 4 hours I have become aware of a couple of things:

- The force feedback changes with the movement on the front suspension. What this means is that if I am going downhill I can feel the feedback solidly throughout but when I am going uphill the feedback tends to weaken (since less weight is on the front) and the hairpins have almost zero feedback because of the low speed + uphill. This is new to me and it feels very odd to have your feedback die down and then bite back mid corner Neutral

- When drifting (or skidding) the wheel is capable of staying straight with my hands off it and the feedback doesn't force the wheel into a countersteer as most other wheels would do (which is odd yet easier for transitions between corners).

- Although not part of the wheel, the brake on the CSR Elite pedals is extraordinarily stiff and in order to lock the brakes (when ABS is off) I have to push the brakes as hard as I possibly can Exclamation So even though I don't see myself accidentally locking up the brakes anymore I fear that I may be braking too softly now (even if it's just a little bit) pale

- The force feedback is very sensitive to the tires. The feedback is strongest when the tires are on the verge of losing grip, and lowest at the moment you begin understeering. So in order to drive fast with this wheel you need an exceptionally smooth driving style (God Hand-like driving basically) which I'm working on at the moment. Sigh, I feel like I'm learning how to drive on Kaido all over again... Rolling Eyes

All these new things are causing me a great deal of difficulty to get used to since I had been accustomed to my previous wheel for the last 3 years. The wheel is great but definitely a very challenging thing to master. So much so that running 4:38s on the New Downhill is a challenge to me again Shocked Anyways I don't see myself up to pace with my previous self anytime soon but I'll still be around online from time to time Wink (just don't challenge me to a battle I feel like I suck now lol)

_

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SaintedPlacebo4
Touge Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 am

well the reason that you feel less feedback is because the ttimes you described there isnt much resistance on steering. When you first lose grip in the front you are skidding so there wouldnt be any feedback, and in the hairpins you are going slow enough that the wheel turns the way you would like. as for the uphill downhill thing i imagine thats how it would feel because of less pressure on the wheels to hold their direction hence less feedback. seems liek the game got a whole lot realer for you.

_

Back to top Go down
Rotary
Tofu Delivery Driver

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:05 am

Turn your brake pressure up a bit if you think your braking to softly.

_
Garage Kaido | Touge Union

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jusputitonmytab
Mountain Pass Master

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Anyone have any experience with the Thrustmaster or Logistech wheels?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/JUSPUTITONMYTAB
KraZe
King of Eurobeat

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm

I used to have a Logitech DFGT for Gran Turismo 5

_

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Soldier2DEnd
Water Spiller

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Does the steering wheel countersteer by itself by flicking it like in real life when you're drifting in 900 degree mode? Smile

_

If I'm driving too slow then that means you're driving too fast. Wait, wut?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KraZe
King of Eurobeat

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:54 pm

^The Logitech DFGT does but the Fanatec CSR doesn't. I turned down the force feedback to 80% because I wanted it to feel like my old wheel but even at 100% the wheel still doesn't spin itself around during a drift Neutral It's less realistic but easier to use (I like it like that). I used to hurt my hand when I played GT5 because the DFGT would require me to fight it at EVERY corner when I drifted.

_

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Soldier2DEnd
Water Spiller

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 am

I think it's just the forza physics there dude Smile
After all, the wheel only conveys the data from the game in to movements anyway. It's probably the forza physics. For wheels, T10 should make it so that front wheels tend to follow the path the vehicle is travelling. For example, when a car drifts, a car's line of travel would go sideways. the front wheels should then be able to follow the direction of movement. In essence, the front wheels are being dragged by the car in the direction of movement because it can rotate on it's own axis.

If T10 programmed the FFB to work like that, another problem would arise. The movement of the wheel when it's countersteering should be swift but it also must be light to the touch when you want to hold the steering wheel. This is because the tires follow the momentum of the vehicle and because of that, very little centrifugal G-force acts upon the tires. It's almost like driving in a straight line with the wheels pointed forward. Although the g-force mentioned is proportional to speed, angle and direction. The wheel should only feel tight when you steer it in the opposite direction of momentum like when a car is understeering to the outside and you want to go inside.

If T10 and Fanatec work together to make a steering wheel that could adjust it's torque without changing it's speed, I think the wheel would be around the $2000 margin. They'll have to use 2 or more motors that could alternate between each other based on the g-forces interacting with the front wheels. A set of 2 motors give you 3 torque levels. low is with the small motor, medium with the large motor and high is with both motors.

I'm sorry for the wall of text lol Smile

_

If I'm driving too slow then that means you're driving too fast. Wait, wut?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KraZe
King of Eurobeat

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:17 am

^

That was very elaborate explanation there Soldier. I'm impressed! you seem like a very smart guy Smile

_

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels   

Back to top Go down

Ask a wheel user anything pertaining specifically to the topic of Xbox 360 steering wheels
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next