Touge Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza Motorsport's Touge Community

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steering Advice

Go down 
+10
sR Je Six
King914
Avanti
Steinkrunk
StrawberryGL
Edward40Hands
KraZe
lBrawnyemperoRl
bukkaz
Velarys
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Velarys
Kaido Aficionado

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:25 am

Like most of us, I use a controller. So my steering inputs aren't as smooth or precise as with a wheel, but watching replays I noticed lots of the quick guys are pretty smooth even with the 'roller.

So do you guys have any tips for smoother steering?
Back to top Go down
bukkaz
Fujiwara
bukkaz

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 am

I think the smoothness is done by the throttle more than the steering
Back to top Go down
lBrawnyemperoRl
Touge Elite

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 am

^ +1 unless u use sim steering the controller moves are smoothened out
Back to top Go down
Velarys
Kaido Aficionado

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:54 am

I do use Sim Steering. That's why people may have seen me lose it from a relatively minor slide (always in public lobbies -.-). Might have to try normal.
Back to top Go down
KraZe
King of Eurobeat
KraZe

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Sim steer was oriented towards Steering Wheels. Normal suits controllers better but you can still use sim steer to your advantage since it gives you more control over the car at the cost of higher difficulty in maintaining that control.
Back to top Go down
lBrawnyemperoRl
Touge Elite

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:15 pm

@Velarys its close to impossible to have a clean recover with a controller on sim. Once you countersteer the car just snaps the other way makin you spin out.
Back to top Go down
Edward40Hands
Kaido Aficionado
Edward40Hands

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 pm

ive used sim steering on the controller from day one...koolaid as well.

its very viable, and now i cant drive normal steering, i can feel where the game is taking control over my steering imputs when i do.

normal steering is weaksauce. lol
Back to top Go down
bukkaz
Fujiwara
bukkaz

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:22 pm

When you slide DO NOT countersteer at all just try and get it back under control with the throttle. When u start getting close to the outside wall then turn into the bend and floor it. You should then make it all the way through. You will lose some time but it beats crashing
Back to top Go down
lBrawnyemperoRl
Touge Elite

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Maybe i should try that
Back to top Go down
Edward40Hands
Kaido Aficionado
Edward40Hands

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:32 pm

if you can stick it out with sim steering its fully worth it IMO.

its alot easier to make small adjustments with sim.

and i counter steer alllll the time with sim...you just need to learn to control it more gentley like you learn to control the throttle or braking without ABS.

but you be surprised at all the normal steer/braking line users, its funny lol. and before anyone trys to defend using the line, dont...i dont want to hear it, its an "assist"....also know as "help". same with normal steering.
Back to top Go down
bukkaz
Fujiwara
bukkaz

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:37 pm

^ I agree with the line. What the line shows aint always the best line you can that. Thats up to you to find the best lines on the course
Back to top Go down
lBrawnyemperoRl
Touge Elite

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Yeah the line is to general. A fast line depends on the car the setup the driver and his style
Back to top Go down
Edward40Hands
Kaido Aficionado
Edward40Hands

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:46 pm

not thats really it tho bukkaz, people use as a consistant breaking point so they can always hit the same line, its a crutch really.

if you dont have every assist off then the game is helping you in some way...although some make you slower obviously, others like steering and line are abused however.
Back to top Go down
Velarys
Kaido Aficionado

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 1:02 pm

In defence of the line, it is an immeasurable help if you run other tracks. I'm getting to the point where I can run NDH without it, but uphill, ODH or tracks other than Tsukuba are a huge challenge.
That said, I'm manning up in the next day or two and turning it off...so if we race and I fuck up totally, you know why lol

I've always used sim too. Only time I use normal is for drifting. Also counter steer is very possible with sim, it just has to be much gentler than normal. I only tend to have problems with spinning if I try and transition while drifting or the suspension compresses sharply.

Back to top Go down
Edward40Hands
Kaido Aficionado
Edward40Hands

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 1:15 pm

yeah i can understand normal steer to make drifting easier/more fun.

sim steering in a grip race though should be no problems even during a slide. if it is a problem, then guess what? its probaly your TUNE.
Back to top Go down
lBrawnyemperoRl
Touge Elite

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 1:16 pm

or just my miserable driving? Wink
Back to top Go down
Edward40Hands
Kaido Aficionado
Edward40Hands

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 3:47 pm

yes we all have those moments as well lol!
Back to top Go down
StrawberryGL
Touge Veteran
StrawberryGL

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Edward40Hands wrote:
but you be surprised at all the normal steer/braking line users, its funny lol. and before anyone trys to defend using the line, dont...i dont want to hear it, its an "assist"....also know as "help". same with normal steering.

It's heavily disputed which whether normal or sim steering is more realistic and you know it. You aren't the authority on anything here. I don't appreciate you undermining all everyone's done in their cars because you don't like which steering they decide to use or because they want to perfect their lines during a hot lap.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TEHROFLKINFE?feature=mhee
Steinkrunk
Tofu Delivery Driver

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 5:04 pm

U guys is cray. But I didn't know that people use the yellow brick road. I've never used any assists so I can get the most "real" experience. I turn off the map, the time, and if the tach in the car wasn't so hard to read id shut off the speedo and tacho in the bottom right corner. They should allow shift lights!!

But using the line is a smart thing to do, instead of driving like a nancy if you don't know the track(I do all the time on the "old" sections of Fuji). Racing is all about winning, and using whatever tools you have at your disposal to win. If someone with full steering assist, full line, abs, tcs, STM and automatic gearbox beat you would you call them out for cheating? I wouldn't, I'd just want to make myself faster and beat them!

So I don't prefer any of the assists, but I'm not gonna bash anyone that does. Hell I doubt kraZe would bash any of us controller users for using a controller. It must be 100x as hard to actually have to use a wheel and pedals to get down the mountain. Heel-toeing, not miss-shifting, and working the wheel all at the same time must get pretty tiring.
Back to top Go down
KraZe
King of Eurobeat
KraZe

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 5:27 pm

^I love you.

To be honest I was expecting to meet at least a few other people that also used a wheel (since Forza is a racing simulator after all) so I was kinda shocked to learn no one else uses one on the touge. Neutral It's been like that since FM3 too. If anyone uses a wheel, he's either drifting or circuit racing. But I can't blame anyone for that obviously wheels are expensive!
Back to top Go down
Edward40Hands
Kaido Aficionado
Edward40Hands

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 6:07 pm

i agree the wheels got to be a beast to get used to, and take skill to use.

annnd strawberry im just going to ignore you, thanks for trying to tell me what i know or not.
Back to top Go down
Avanti
Kaido Aficionado
Avanti

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Mad Edward/strawberry, I swear to god! If you two are going to start this shit again. I will personally
get you bought fucking banned!... Stop this shit now!
Back to top Go down
KraZe
King of Eurobeat
KraZe

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Steering Advice 2307890-anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly_super
Back to top Go down
Edward40Hands
Kaido Aficionado
Edward40Hands

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 7:58 pm

dont worry your sweet cactus ass Avanti, i was done
Back to top Go down
King914
Touge Enthusiast
King914

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Steering Advice Dafaq-10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steering Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Advice   Steering Advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering Advice
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next