Touge Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza Motorsport's Touge Community

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mid engine vs. front engine?

Go down 
+2
that slime kb
Maji of Bacon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Maji of Bacon
Tofu Delivery Driver
Maji of Bacon

Mid engine vs. front engine? Empty
PostSubject: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 5:25 am

which is better for uphill and downhill?

Mid engine  No  Front engine
Back to top Go down
that slime kb
Touge Veteran
that slime kb

PostSubject: Re: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 8:11 am

Its really matter of preference. Mid engine is good for up and downhill but id say its better fit for uphill beause of the extra traction it offers. The uphill is all about throttle control and acceleration. A mid engine has slightly more traction then fr because the engine is sitting on top of the drive tires. ff cars have good traction too but arent that competitive in the uphill. Fr cars are good on up and down too. Again its a matter of preference. I prefer them in downhill because u can load the front tires easier due to the weight distribution which causes better braking and steering.
Back to top Go down
bukkaz
Fujiwara
bukkaz

PostSubject: Re: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 8:39 am

Yeah they are pretty equal, it also depends on your driving style really
Back to top Go down
MiNd
Founder
MiNd

PostSubject: Re: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 10:24 am

Like slime said its preference.

Looking at some stats...I pushed my Miata (FR) to 4:31 on the New Downhill, I have also pushed my MRS (MR) to low 4:32s, less than .5 of a second between them.

Now for the uphill, I have seen KraZe take a Evo (AWD, but still Front Engined) to 4:35s and also taken his NSX (MR) to 4:35s also.

You will have to drive them slightly differently and take advantage of their strong points, in some sections one might be faster, but the overall results seems to be what your more comfortable with.
Back to top Go down
Maji of Bacon
Tofu Delivery Driver
Maji of Bacon

PostSubject: Re: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 3:06 pm

I have seen people run the uphill in a 911 turbo which is rear Engined are there any benefits for that?
Back to top Go down
KraZe
King of Eurobeat
KraZe

PostSubject: Re: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Even without knowing much about cars all it takes is one drive up the hill with a 911 to notice that the rear engine layout puts a massive amount of weight over the rear wheels.  For a RWD car that is the ideal setup for a hillclimb.  With so much traction on the drive wheels you can floor it out of corners without spinning the wheels which means more speed overall.  The only drawback is less weight at the front which creates understeer, however, you can fix that with moderate tuning knowledge. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

PostSubject: Re: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 4:15 pm

It's a good thing, I guess, that RF cars aren't common. Those would be no good in either downhill or uphill.
Back to top Go down
MiNd
Founder
MiNd

PostSubject: Re: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 4:41 pm

Obelisk wrote:
It's a good thing, I guess, that RF cars aren't common.  Those would be no good in either downhill or uphill.

I'm guessing you mean Rear engined Front wheel drive? I'm not sure if we have any cars like that in Forza, don't know any real cars off the top of my head either lol
Back to top Go down
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

PostSubject: Re: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 4:43 pm

^I only know of two rear engine, front drive cars. One suffered a fatal accident due to another driver in the 1930s. It was capable of turning within its length.
Back to top Go down
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

PostSubject: Re: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 5:06 pm

There are only two Rear engine, front-wheel drive cars, both a year from each other.

1932 Coleman Motors Maroon Car
Mid engine vs. front engine? Proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F0aVyvOZ

1933 Dymaxion Car Mid engine vs. front engine? 440px-Dynamaxion_1933

Last edited by Obelisk on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KraZe
King of Eurobeat
KraZe

PostSubject: Re: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Rear engine/Front drive has to be one of the least practical layouts ever conceived. There's like ZERO benefits lmao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mid engine vs. front engine?   Mid engine vs. front engine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mid engine vs. front engine?
Page 1 of 1