Touge Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza Motorsport's Touge Community

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To s13/s14 Owners

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Peacock
Kaido Aficionado
Peacock

To s13/s14 Owners Empty
PostSubject: To s13/s14 Owners   To s13/s14 Owners Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 12:13 pm

I've been looking at potential cars to buy for the coming spring/summer and have been drawn to the 240sx lately. I wanted to ask anyone thats owns, has owned, or is friends with someone that owns an s13 or s14 what their general experience with the car is. Issues they've had, features they like, what they feel it needs. etc.

Or if you have input about a different car, by all means share your experiences.
Back to top Go down
Koolaid
Touge Veteran
Koolaid

To s13/s14 Owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: To s13/s14 Owners   To s13/s14 Owners Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 1:14 pm

I had a handful of friends that had owned them.
King owns an RB25 swapped s13.

I wouldn't trust half the S13/S14s with sr swaps unless the owners have receipts or a decent build thread.
If you're looking for a daily, i'd try finding an unmolested one with a stock KA and going from there.
A lot of the times when you find s13s for cheap, they're either just run down and old or just having problems.
Most common problems with s13s you'll find is the cracked dash and wiper fluid reservoirs.
I'd prefer the s14 over the s13, better interior and suspension.
As you know this platform caters to the drift scene and a lot of the times they'll end up welding their rear diff shut which is horrible for daily driving since it'll just eat your tires up in no time any time you turn the car.

I prefer the s14 than the s13, the car is just easier to work with honestly.
Definitely find one in stick, its a pain swapping it over from auto.
Stay away from s13 certs, those tops suck.
5 lug and z32 caliper swaps are a definite plus.
The KA motor is solid and good for at least 250k
Back to top Go down
King914
Touge Enthusiast
King914

To s13/s14 Owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: To s13/s14 Owners   To s13/s14 Owners Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 2:56 pm

yess preach koolaid as far as work man if you want a s13 make sure the undercarriage, Qtr panels body and chassis are somewhat solid a lil rust on the qtr is ok rust holes in your fender wells on the floor.. etc is a quick red flag... i would stay away... as far as working on them i would say the worst part is that they are 20 plus year old cars and bolts that havent been taken off or just rusty is gonna be your main problem...the beauty of these cars is that subframes with the control arms brakes coilovers if you have etc can be taking out at once! a few brake lines unbotling the whole subframe itself off the chassis and bam everything from the diff to bushings to Rear contol arms diff fluid can be changed quick and easy! which makes it hell of alot easier instead of working on it from under the car... as far as swapped cars go man you gotta watch out i would say get a s13 with a single cam in it buy a welded diff coils a seat and a wheel you can probably find one like this for about 1200 stock to about 2500 with listed parts above! and just have fun man get use to it perfect car to work on aslong and if you have any question about a car your looking at looked at etc just drop in here and see what any of us with experience have to say but if a swapped s13 or s14 is what your looking for heres a quick guideline

- what kind of harness is it.. alot of these kids just hack up old 20 year old s13 harness with the engine harness of the motor and trans whether it be sr, rb, ka, this is a big no no, wiring specialties is a awesome company that make pre made harness for most of these applications this will save you with a shit load of time testing wires and voltage when u could be spending your money on more awesome stuff sure enough its a good sign if your looking at a car and it has one of these harness'

- Engine management.. your better off looking for a swapped car as close to stock as possible with a stock ecu.. once you start upgrading things like bigger turbo injectors etc it is wise to have some sort of standalone or piggyback system, this is cruical almost as much as the harness as terms of reliability and health of the motor good aftermarket ecu's vary for the price you can not beat Apex'i Power FC i ran it on my 450whp rb and my buddy who had the swap before i did had the same setup with this computer and it lasted 6 years strong including my time of driving it... a tune would be highly advised depending where ur at it could be anywhere from 500- 700- trust me worth every penny! but give it a look AEM has a EMS, Greddy has emange..HKS has f con.. i would personally go figure out a tuner you wanna go with and discuss plans with him when the time is right before you do any window shopping for aftermarket ecu'

i know im probably missing a few things but with what i said should be more then enough info to make your search alot easier!
Back to top Go down
Peacock
Kaido Aficionado
Peacock

To s13/s14 Owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: To s13/s14 Owners   To s13/s14 Owners Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 5:11 pm

How about regular upkeep? I would most likely be saving any big work on it until after graduation. Would I be able to take care of it in an apartment complex garage/parking lot?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

To s13/s14 Owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: To s13/s14 Owners   To s13/s14 Owners Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To s13/s14 Owners
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Touge Union :: Off Topic-
Jump to: