Touge Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza Motorsport's Touge Community

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Newb - Where to Start?

Go down 
+9
Ialyrn
jusputitonmytab
CursedShark15
MiNd
Obelisk
Velarys
lBrawnyemperoRl
bukkaz
sthompson1986
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Ah, I see. Yeah, sometimes the controller causes issues.

By the way, are you Southern?
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 8:15 pm

Obelisk wrote:
Ah, I see.  Yeah, sometimes the controller causes issues.

By the way, are you Southern?
Yes - Mississippi. I have strong accent lol
Back to top Go down
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Really strong accent. I picked it up right away. frankly, it was a little hard understanding you but hey, everyone's their own person.
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Obelisk wrote:
Really strong accent.  I picked it up right away.  frankly, it was a little hard understanding you but hey, everyone's their own person.
K
Back to top Go down
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Is it usually humid there? Never been to that part of the country.

Also--What motivated you to switch to Xbox?
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Obelisk wrote:
Is it usually humid there?  Never been to that part of the country.

Also--What motivated you to switch to Xbox?
Yes, Humid and sticky.

I am giving Forza a go because I want to drive production cars VS. fully prepped race cars on iRacing.

Back to top Go down
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:18 pm

You'll find some suprising cars in the production field.
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Obelisk wrote:
You'll find some suprising cars in the production field.
I love all the cars. I like modding the cars. I have a 57 T-bird that's supercharged.
Back to top Go down
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:30 pm

I saw that T-Bird. It didn't handle too well or you just aren't used to the games.
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Obelisk wrote:
I saw that T-Bird.  It didn't handle too well or you just aren't used to the games.
Ha yea it handles bad + me with a controller. I got that thing out because I figured you would be like what the crap.
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:43 pm

I am getting better - I have trouble with the braking zones so I turn on the brake line marker. 5:04 I think is my best so far on NDH. Gota get smoother and stay off the wall.
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:43 pm

-

Last edited by sthompson1986 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Double post.
Back to top Go down
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:48 pm

I did raise an eyebrow at that. The hell was a T-Bird doing on touge?

You can run a '78 King Cobra and.have almost.no traction issues.
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:52 pm

How long have you been on forza?
Back to top Go down
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 9:53 pm

I had forza since...2011. The '78 King Cobra is quite good for touge, and I hit a PB with it on Old Downhill (3:5x i think)
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Cool - I will try out the King Cobra, it's not a car I would normally jump to.
Back to top Go down
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 10:05 pm

^The same applies to the Delorean, which baffled the shit out of me. I ran a 3:54 down the old course and the car can hit upper 4:30s on the new downhill.
Back to top Go down
KraZe
King of Eurobeat
KraZe

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 1:25 am

A DeLorean can do much better than 3:54 on ODH if that's what you're getting at.
Back to top Go down
Obelisk
Fujiwara
Obelisk

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 8:53 am

KraZe wrote:
A DeLorean can do much better than 3:54 on ODH if that's what you're getting at.
At MY best, i can pull a 3:54.
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 9:21 am

KraZe wrote:
KraZe - Do you have trouble driving with a controller Vs. Your wheel? I am a wheel driver(G25), but stuck with a controller on XBOX. Controller is taken some getting used to.
Back to top Go down
Ialyrn
Touge Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 9:41 am

Im not Kraze, but I can shed some light on it though as I have an MS wheel. When you get used to one or the other, it is always problematic when you have to swap it around for what ever reason. You have a lot more precise control with a wheel compared to the controller, especially when you are dealing with a 900 degree+ capable wheel. You are essentially having to train new muscle memory in your hands on the controller, in forza however you can be very very quick with a controller; on a pc sim not so much. A wheel is an absolute must on a pc racer.

Its best to start off with normal steering when first starting with forza, this steering mode features speed sensitive steering assists that aids you. It minimizes over correction with your steering inputs, and makes it less likely that you will have too much steering angle any particular corner. Its not fool proof though, but it far easier to train muscle memory with than Sim steering. With sim steering, it is a lot easier to lose control of the car. As there is no assists with sim steering, you can quite easily get yourself into a tank slapper. If you are not used to using a controller this really becomes problematic. You will have almost no chance of correcting it till you are used to how the physics in forza work.

I would personally suggest grabbing a stock version of whatever car you like, or better yet the stock D class AE86. Then you need to rev limit the car, this forces you to go slower and gives you more time to learn the handling physics. Take 2000RPM off from the red line, don't go above that for about 10 runs or until you feel comfortable/not hitting anything. Then up the rev limit by 1000RPM, and do another 10 runs. Then use all the revs the engine has available, but take slower entries into the corners. Also have the braking line on assist on, as it will aid you in learning braking points. Use it as a rough guide, as most cars in forza can take the corners faster than the line will depict.
When you are comfortable with the car up your pace gradually, keep doing this till you have pushed the car beyond its limits. Dont worry about your times at this point, just hammer the car. Drift it as much as you can. Learn to counter steer with the controller, the point you want to be acceleration is the same as with driving the corner normally, so this will aid you in picking up those points. The optimal drifting line on Fujmi is on the racing line, so after you can drift that stock AE86 you need to be aiming for the apex's of the corners.

After all this make a b class tune for the AE86, or if you like I can add on onto my storefront in game for you. Mindcharger has a good one on his storefront also. Once you are ready hit Fujimi again, and again push the car to its limits and drift it as much as possible. Once you get used to the handling take more shallow drifts, concentrating on hitting the apex's of the corners. You want the front bumper to almost be scraping the walls on the apex of the corners.
Once you are used to doing this, check you times. If you are anywhere near a 5:04.xxx (give or take a couple of seconds), then you should be able to hit a 4:48 on the NDH with a grip run; possibly faster.

This is how I learnt to drive on Fujimi, and its how I also learnt how to drift RWD cars also. Before this I was powersliding R class AWD cars lol.

Anyway hope this helps, It may or may not work for you; but its at least something to try.
Back to top Go down
sthompson1986
Water Spiller
sthompson1986

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 10:09 am

Thanks Ialryn - I appreciate the advice. I will give this a try, but I will probably stick with a stock 12' Si. Main reason I got on forza is for that car since I have a 2013 Si in reality. May not be the fastest chassis, but I enjoy tweaking on it and modding doing stuff I cannot afford in actual life ha!

You say keep the redline 2k below redline is there a way to tune that or do you mean just manually keep it lower?

I can tell I am getting faster each day. I have to quit after several runs because I start overdriving trying to beat my ghost, but after a cool down I can come back and beat my ghost.

I also have a hard time judging my braking points compared to PC Sims. If I do not have the brake line on I am going to hit the wall. Not sure what it is but it feels harder to have consistent braking on forza.

Back to top Go down
Ialyrn
Touge Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 10:19 am

You have to do it manually, but the effect of constantly maintaining a redline limit like that forces you to concentrate harder. It can help you learn a bit quicker, but that's different from person to person.

With regards to braking on Forza, I find its easier to left foot brake. It helps to keep the car balance in check under braking and downshifts, which means you can take the corners that little bit faster. I also tend to brake a little earlier and softer, as just slamming on the brakes can cause the rear to brake loose. You also have to watch for lift off oversteer on FWD cars, move so than RWD and AWD. Try tuning the front diff accel on your cars too, it can help if you experience any torque steer.
Back to top Go down
StrawberryGL
Touge Veteran
StrawberryGL

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 11:49 am

sthompson1986 wrote:
I also have a hard time judging my braking points compared to PC Sims. If I do not have the brake line on I am going to hit the wall.  Not sure what it is but it feels harder to have consistent braking on forza.
It could just be a characteristic of Forza's simulation. Are you locking the brakes a lot?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TEHROFLKINFE?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newb - Where to Start?   Newb - Where to Start? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newb - Where to Start?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next