Touge Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza Motorsport's Touge Community

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Whole Ball of Wax

Go down 
+2
StrawberryGL
Mulchy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mulchy
Mountain Pass Master
Mulchy

The Whole Ball of Wax Empty
PostSubject: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 12:10 am

I know all of you, or most of you enjoy working on cars as a hobby, or as a job. I thought it'd be interesting to post questions or concerns or mechanical knowledge whether it be related to you and your car or just a question in general. Put up some pictures of your recent projects or jobs for fun, or give us a story. I thought this would be an interesting topic as I don't believe I've seen anyone post IRL modifications or fixes (:
Back to top Go down
StrawberryGL
Touge Veteran
StrawberryGL

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 12:17 am

My car's been surprisingly tame since I bought it. When I had just bought the Z it was leaking hot coolant into the passenger floorboard when the engine was on. So, after some intense googling I found that the heater control valve was leaking and I had to pretty much take everything out from under the dash to get to it. I guess the whole situation was pretty uneventful but it was still kind of a pain.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TEHROFLKINFE?feature=mhee
Mulchy
Mountain Pass Master
Mulchy

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 12:22 am

@StrawberryGL   I feel for you, removing anything around a dash is painful, I've cut my forehead on a steering bracket while removing a heater core and it wasn't fun lol.

This past Saturday i replaced my starter because the solenoid was dying and sounded like an angry cat, and I also replaced my CV joint as the boot had ripped and it ended up creating a gouge that made my car vibrate as I accelerated. Also I helped Lou replace his crank seal bc he was leaking oil!
Back to top Go down
KraZe
King of Eurobeat
KraZe

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 2:42 am

I (unknowingly at first) bought my '90 300ZX with suspension damage (probably because the previous owner crashed it and did a good job of covering it up Rolling Eyes) but the damage was still there.  A bent strut bar link, broken ball bearings, and cut springs in the front (because he thought it would give it a stanced muscle look. :xThe lowered frame at the front did a number on the front bumper lip which is now held up by zipties. :|The weather stripping on the passenger door was torn which allowed rain to drip inside (plus the window didn't close all the way up which made it worse).  Also the car came riddled with electrical problems including no A/C, a faulty aftermarket stereo system and an old battery.  And lastly the tires were 205s when the car came stock with 225s (not a problem but it annoyed me lol).

I managed to source all the replacement suspension parts from both a local junkyard and Z1Motorsports.com (they got some pretty cool shit).  I resprayed the front bumper with the original color (Aztec Red) and coated the zipties so they wouldn't be noticeable.  I bought a new battery and replaced all the faulty wires on the stereo and rerouted them under the carpet to keep it looking clean n' stock.  I replaced all the blown fuses and relays to get my A/C working again (I also had to seal up a few hoses that were leaking gas). I improvised using caulk to fix my weather strip and seal my window.  I had to take appart the passenger door to change the broken window washer that didn't let me roll my window up too.  I changed some worn hoses on the engine that looked like they were about to spray fuel all over my engine bay.  The tires were worn and all 4 were mismatched (Bridgestone, Dunlop, Continental, and Pirelli Shocked ) so I bought a set of Goodyear Eagle GT tires in 225. Wink Then I fixed some faulty wires that messed with my brake lights and turn signals and replaced the center rear tailight that had been left cracked since I bought the car.  Lastly I had to source out new power steering pinions because the old ones were slightly angled and the power steering belt kept popping off.

All that shit took my Senior year in high school Razz

Now I still have to adress some engine issues (valve ticking and minor oil leaks).  However my biggest issue is that my Z tends to stall when it's idling or moving very slowly (like when taking a U-turn or parking. No)

Last edited by KraZe on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hybrid Comet
Touge Veteran
Hybrid Comet

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 10:32 am

If i had my camera with me when im working on my car, i would have tons of pics Smile
But i only have my crappy cell camera so no pics.

Every car i had had to be painted, everyone of them had a crappy paint. I always did the base work myself, sanding and stuff. And my boss painted them. And i have owned 7 or 8 cars so far, which is crappy coz i earn my living at fixing cars lol.

But hobby is a hobby, i love cars. fwd´s, rwd´s and awd´s. Many years back i was a show car builder, but nowdays i only mod for pure performance and handling. Sadly good parts cost alot Sad 

Righ now im working on my EK4 for the trackdays, i had some laps in it already, and it handles really good, i just need a thicker rear anti roll bar for some minor oversteering and quicker response.

When i bought that ek4, it was in good condition, some parts were already installed to it. Only one thing wasnt that good, its exhaust was really bad DIY job Very Happy It was fabricated from many pieces, and its rear muffler was some kind of ricer-super-loud-model. So i made a new one from 2,5" stainless steel and bought a skunk2 rear muffler coz it has that axle back section which aint easy to do.

Today i installed new 4-point harnesses to replace the Takata i had. New belts are a bit more comfy compaired to the takata´s.

I love cars Smile
Back to top Go down
IVYTRAE
Tofu Delivery Driver
IVYTRAE

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 12:40 pm

This takes me back to my younger days ^^^

from changing brakes, to replacing fuel pumps, some cars are a pain if you have to drop that fuel tank (Chevys) replacing the cam shaft cuz i need that extra power or replacing gasket cuz they just too old, like strwaberry taking out a whole dash panel just to install that 1 little part. or having to lift the car just to clean the intake because its right next to the tire underneath the engine. ive had my share of cars from JDM to muscles and the amount of money ive spent over the years if id have saved it all i could have probably bought me a brand new car . but my passion is cars and thats what we do right. i havent done anything in a few years cuz of money and family life but in my younger days up untill 2 years ago i actually wanted to do auto body. i did a few cars of my own and got the hang of the basics. one day when my kids are older and in school maybe ill have time to take a class. till then if you guys have a passion for cars and wanna do something i suggest you do what you gotta do first then have kids and a family
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHZPSeKvQIRRWMpbbHlxwNw
ducky9r
Water Spiller
ducky9r

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 7:09 pm

im rollen a 70 chevy c 20 with a 355 with headers. It hasba lil single carb on right now unfortunatly. Its got a lil rust but now bad especially for midwest standards.
ive got front fenders and doors for it and a friend has a perfect already striped cab cab im tryen to get. Got a set of heads ported with a valve swap at a local speed shop. Got a 4 barrel edelbrock 850 cfm carb, street dominater intake and a 272 cam. also picked up a 5 speed 97 comaro transmission for it.
got a ton of parts for the truck just need time to work on it but when its done my hopes are for it to burn all the lil honda punks in des moines. I luv imports. Had a honda myself. Dont like douche bag drivers.
Back to top Go down
Hybrid Comet
Touge Veteran
Hybrid Comet

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 11:49 am

^^ Sounds interesting ducky, and i know what you meant by douche bag drivers. I hate ricer looking cars and even more i hate ricy drivers.
Revving like idiots at stopping lights, accelerating like dumb ass right in to your rear bumper, wearing some damn I Luv Hondas/Nissans/Toyotas caps. All this to get the other driver to "Have a street race" in the middle of the damn city fast n´ furious style.
I race, but i race in the race track.

No offence to car styling ppl Smile

And ivy, i have a kid and im still working with cars, building and racing. So family aint a stop sing to car hobby Smile
Tho offcourse i dont have as much time or money to work on my cars as i did before i had a family. And family comes first, always.
Back to top Go down
IVYTRAE
Tofu Delivery Driver
IVYTRAE

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Hybrid Comet wrote:

And ivy, i have a kid and im still working with cars, building and racing. So family aint a stop sing to car hobby Smile
Tho offcourse i dont have as much time or money to work on my cars as i did before i had a family. And family comes first, always.

That's good man but its hard for me because of the life i grew up in. And the older i get the harder it gets. Im not so young man
Back to top Go down
Mulchy
Mountain Pass Master
Mulchy

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 5:07 pm

How many of you guys know about detailing? I'm really trying to get into it lol
Back to top Go down
Hybrid Comet
Touge Veteran
Hybrid Comet

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 6:49 am

Detailing? Oh im not so young myself either ivy Wink
Back to top Go down
Mulchy
Mountain Pass Master
Mulchy

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 1:24 am

Yeah, like "properly" washing and cleaning cars. I've been watching the Drive Clean playlist on the Drive channel on youtube and have learned alot so far.
Back to top Go down
Hybrid Comet
Touge Veteran
Hybrid Comet

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:07 pm

Well, i have polished many cars at my work and offcourse my own cars aswell. I mean with proper polisher machine. It takes pretty long from two to three hours about when done right. Its hard to finish it without any polishing marks on the paint.

And usually when i hand wash car (pre-wash if really dirty), fully dry it, clean windows, and then wax it (wax on, wax off Very Happy ) it still takes an hour and a half. But i think its worth it Smile
Back to top Go down
IVYTRAE
Tofu Delivery Driver
IVYTRAE

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Im pretty good at detailing. i can wash carpet and detail interior as well as wax buff and even take the yellow crap off old headlights. i use to detail out of my moms furniture store in the back till some 1 called a inspector on me for not having a permit. bullshit. i was only 18
Back to top Go down
IVYTRAE
Tofu Delivery Driver
IVYTRAE

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Hybrid Comet wrote:
Detailing? Oh im not so young myself either ivy Wink
ill pm you the reason y its so hard for me. its kinda personal
Back to top Go down
Hybrid Comet
Touge Veteran
Hybrid Comet

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 9:42 am

^^ Aight ivy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Whole Ball of Wax   The Whole Ball of Wax Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Whole Ball of Wax
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Touge Union :: Forza Motorsport Section-
Jump to: